Saturday, April 14, 2007

Despite an early rise this morning, the day has been fantastic! I woke up at an inhumane hour today to travel to the University of New South Wales for the Incoming Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar Seminar. I was a bit pessimistic that the day would be nice, because I got to the bus stop to find that the 6:22 a.m. bus did not run. I had it all planned out---I would catch the 6:22 a.m. in time to get to the City for the 7:15 connection at Circular Quay. I had to take a taxi to Circular Quay where I lucky to catch a bus shortly after my arrival to the stand.

On a positive note, I got to meet many of the other scholars today. Quite a few folks weren't there---which is odd, considering seminar participation is mandatory. Either way, the folks I did meet were lovely. I also got to meet some really brilliant Rotarians! Judith showed up for a bit as well, which was nice. She and I have kept in contact via e-mail, but we haven't had a chance to get together in a little over a month. Hopefully we'll be able to plan a lunch or dinner meeting soon!
Anyhow, I assume she gave the other Rotarians a run-down on my projects and such during lunch break, because one of the guys came over and said "We've heard all about you!" and said that they were impressed with my energy. It really means a lot to me that she discussed my projects with the other Rotarians. :) It's nice to know that someone finds them interesting enough to mention! DISTRICT 9750 INCOMING AMBASSADORIAL SCHOLARS 2007
Back Row (L - R) Thomas; Galina (returning Ambassadorial Scholar); Miloney; Philip; Tobias; Me
Front Row (L - R) Jamie; Julie and Laurent.


While I love meeting the other scholars, I always walk away from these sessions wondering why on earth I was selected for the scholarship! We're addressed in the context of being strong leaders and initiators---and I just keep wondering how I could be considered either. Granted, I enjoy helping out where I can, but I really feel like I'm probably one of the weaker scholars. I just don't know if I have the amazing background that the others have. Still, I figure I'll do what I can with the resources I have. I may not be the best, but at least I'm doing what I can, right?

The big 2-7 is coming up soon! I'm really not planning any birthday celebration(s). I haven't told anyone that it's my birthday, so I really expect the day to go on as any other day. It's nice to say I turned 27 in Australia. Just like it's nice to say I turned 25 in England. Wow...I'm getting old. ha ha ha...

There isn't really a lot else to report on.

Oh, and to those of you who wanted to see my Hunstman visitor, see below.
The picture is on its side. Mentally rotate the pic to the right so that it is standing upright. The spider was on my ceiling, and I didn't zoom in. You're seeing one massive spider. It was bigger than my hand---no joke.

In response to the comment made by Carole Ward (aka My Other Mother): In addition to being huge and scary, these buggers jump AND they bite if provoked. Also, they have a "cling reflex" that allows them to attach to prey or potential dangers in order to better bite their prey or attackers. I wouldn't DREAM of knocking that thing off the wall and onto my level!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK Tara. Point Taken! Now a jumping, biting spider deserves a little more credit! What is this deal..you may not be the best?? You were NOT the only applicant you know. You were chosen for the qualities you have and for the person you are. I don't want to hear anymore of that! 27? I can't believe it! I remember 21 and I don't know what happened to the rest. Keep up the good work. And it is GOOD work!