Saturday, March 10, 2007

On the 423 bound for the CBD, I caught myself smiling out the window at the sights and people I passed. The folks on the street were too busy attending to the details of their lives--ducking in and out of shops, chatting on mobiles and working their way toward some mysterious "point B"--to notice the crazy smiling girl on the bus. Equally, they were completely unaware of how, at that very moment, I found myself in a complete state of happiness. Isn't it strange how we can step beyond ourselves and look inwardly, as if a spectator to a life unfamiliar? We are so outwardly focused to the extent of introspection seeming so...foreign.

Considering my happiness and ease in moving through these Australian streets, it occurred to me that I may never be happy living a sedentary life in the USA. I could never be content to allow my suitcases to gather dust as memories become disjointed, aging images. And how sad to cling needily, greedily to friendships with internationals, hoping to exchange anecdotes and thoughts of places that no longer exist, aged locales and frames of mind that live only in memory.

No one ever died from lack of travel and experience, but I reckon many a concept of self has crumbled beneath the weight of such restriction.

---

I attended a women's rally in the CBD today. It was so empowering to hear the strong females speaking of the fight that lay ahead of us. While I believe that huge strides have been made in attaining women's rights the world over, I don't believe it's time for us to sit back and relax. We must march on in hopes that subsequent generations enjoy more and better rights and freedoms. We didn't come all this way to have folks like Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears being heralded as female icons.

---

Things are going very well at the flat! Desiree and I get on really well, but we rarely really see one another. By the looks of it our interactions will be even less frequent (particularly as both our social calendars fill up). She is super-nice and she's so easy to talk to. It's nice when we do get the chance to have dinner together and a chat.

---

Monday (March 12) is going to be interesting! In the morning I'll be going to Earlwood Public School to begin my bi-monthly volunteering. I'm hoping to tutor reading, but I'm not averse to helping just wherever I'm needed. It will be nice to meet the kids and work with them. I'm hoping also to help establish a penpal network between Pikeville Elementary and the Earlwood Public School. Desiree tells me not to be surprised if the kids tell me to get stuffed. I'm not worried---I'm going to remain optimistic.
Monday evening is going to be pretty neat, too. I have my first postgraduate seminar, which should be fun! I don't really know what to expect except that we all have to contribute a paper to the seminar at some point. I don't think anything needs to be prepared for Monday evening, but I intend to be super-prepared...just in case! ha ha ha...

---

I've got my two nominations to run for council of the Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association. Two current councillors have greed to sign off on my nomination. Now all that's left is attending the next meeting, presenting a small speech as to why I should be elected, and waiting the outcome of the evening's vote! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

---

I'm looking forward to all the events and activities that lay ahead of me! More on their respective outcomes later...

No comments: