Thursday, January 15, 2009

I've just come back from rehearsal. I have to say, it's such fun! :) I really enjoying working the the others and having the opportunity, more generally. It's also nice to get to hang out with Jenelle (although it's not the same as meeting up at the AB for a few beers). She's really a good director, and it's interesting to see her vision and experience it taking form. Also, she gives great constructive criticism! It's also nice to get to know Nat, the writer and star of this play. She and I have been at a few of the saem get-togethers, but we hadn't really had the chance to get to know one another. I really like Nat; she's cool, plus she's written a great script! She's also a very talented actor. Dan is also great--he truly cracks me up. His character is really flamboyant (which he refers to as a slightly more amplified version of his own personality). His intensity and humor make it easier to bounce back with over-the-top responses. He and I are "at the pub" throughout the play, so we get progressively "drunk" and more outrageous as the play wears on. Not that I would know ANYTHING about being drunk... (he he he).

I ventured to Stanmore a few hours early for rehearsal today. My initial expectation was to do a bit of exploration. I've been all over Enmore and Newtown, but I hadn't really been into Stanmore much. At any rate, this plan was shortlived, as a few minutes of reconnaissance yielded very little of interest. I ended up delving into some research and script readingat the local cafe. Now, a note on this cafe... What lovely folks! I asked if they accepted eftpos--to which Sam, the barrista, replied in the negative. But, he added, he would serve me and I could pay the next time I'm in. I thanked him, but explained I hated to do that. I said I would be fine without a coffee and started off. He intervened, saying it was no trouble. He told me to have a seat and he would bring my cappuccino out to me. He later also brought out some crackers and beautiful Lebanese hummous for me to try. The (very attractive, but very married) owner came out for a bit of a chat too. Yeah, we're all on a first-name basis now. While Musetti Coffee isn't as nice as my favorite (Campos Coffee), I HIGHLY recommend the coffee shop.

Following the cafe visit, I went to the public school where we've been rehearsing. As I was reading over the script, I received a call from a jukebox and karaoke hire company. I'm planning a friend's birthday party and had requested a quote. It's so much cheaper than I thought! Needless to say, we'll definitely be hiring the system for this party---it'll be so neat! As most of you know, I LOVE planning parties (and no comments about the infamous BBQs at my apartment in Pikeville!). Anyhow, this is a costume party with the theme "Flash Back". Guests are asked to come as their favorite musician/singer from the 60s, 70s or 80s. And, as we'll have the jukebox/karaoke combo--in addition to alcohol--there will be ample opportunity for folks to make fools of themselves...er...to have fun!

Humid weather brings out Australia's deadly funnel web
(headline from Sydney Morning Hearld)

Unfortunately, the deadly Aussie spiders (as well as jellyfish, bull ants, etc) are out in full force. As the above headline indicates, the newspapers have been issuing warnings and reminders to shake out shoes and damp towels, as they're favorite hiding places of the funnel web. Apparently, it only takes 15 minutes to die from a funnel web bite---unless you seek immediate medical attention.

As someone who harbors a deeply felt hatred of spiders, I'm happy to say I've not yet encountered a funnel web. They're quite smaller than some of the really common spiders that look extremely frightening. Contrary to popular belief outside Australia, the most deadly spiders aren't the massive, scary ones that are about the size of your head. Rather, the funnel webs and similarly venimous spiders---the small ones---are the ones to steer clear of.

Speaking of arachnids...
I had an interesting encounter with a marble scorpion the other day while house-/dogsitting for my boss. That's not a scorpion made of marble, mind you. I nearly stepped on it while barefooted. Talk about nearly having a heart attack! I'm including a photo of what the marble scorpion looks like. They aren't friendly looking, that's for sure!

Now, lots of my mates back home have heard of my MANY hunstman experiences. I honestly think I've experienced more than my fair share of frightening massive hunstmen. Most of the ones I've seen have been about the size of my hand! Trust me, they're not the sort of spider you want to awaken to find on your ceiling at night or hanging out on your doorframe (as I have...many times).

This past Sunday night I was at Judith's and it had just rained. We were in the family room watching Twenty20 cricket (Australia v South Africa) with the door to the back garden open. I was sitting on the floor, playing with Sally (the most precious and adorable Cavoodle puppy!). I was looking up at the television when something moving on the floor just in front of me caught my eye. I thought it was a roach, because they come in from the garden into everyone's homes---especially when the door is left open. When I first saw the roaches, I was a bit freaked out. They are, after all, HUGE. But I've gotten used to them. They truly are EVERYWHERE in the summer, and they seem to come out en masse on humid, rainy evenings. Anyhow, I casually looked over to see a characteristically large hunstman RUNNING---no, SPRINTING---toward me. Let me tell you, they move fast!
I, of course, shouted and rolled, trying to get out of its path. I crab-crawled back into the doorway to the dining room as the spider ran out the open door to the garden.
After the scene I had made, Judith very calmly said---in a way that can only be described as the typical Aussie response---"You know, they can't hurt you." Mildly embarrassed by my reaction, I responded with, "True, but they do bite". For those of you who may be wondering what they look like, see below.

Now, having exhausted the arachnid and roach stories, I don't have much else to write on! I am excited about an up-coming daytrip Piers and I are planning. He's going to drive, of course. I have the responsibility of choosing our destination. I'm thinking either Kiama or Katoomba---both would be nice for some hikes. I just can't make up my mind! At any rate, he'll be a great tour guide. He's really clued-up on Aussie history and all things Australian. I'll post more about that later!



Hunstman:









Funnel Web:





Marble Scorpion:






Australian Cockroach:





Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bugs. Scare. Me.