Friday, July 13, 2007

A Day in Parramatta

I spent pretty much the whole of Thursday in Parramatta. It was something of a school day for me on a number of levels...

The trip was intially arranged as a visit to Rotary Down Under House, where the Rotary Down Under Magazine is overseen. I started the day with a ferry ride down the Parramatta River which was just shy of an hour in duration. It was a lovely morning---so sunny and warm! It was so nice to relax, enjoy the sights from the river and read The Australian as we coasted westwardly. En route, and while wandering around, I composed a few lines of verse to sort of sum up what I saw...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNING ON THE FERRY...
tired mangrove trees rise and slump from a swampy bed of tack-like scrub,
dipping heavy boughs toward the muddy Parramatta;
their lower leaves,
once bold green,
now mud-dusted and dull.

herons stand perched on water-polished stones,
phoenix-like;
their wings drying in early sunlight and cool breeze of morning.

AFTERNOON IN THE PARK...
from the bark-peeled trees comes the discordant
throaty laughs and purrs of birds
as a lone grounded magpie struts,
beak bobbing,
over dead leaves and scattered twigs
searching for some sign of sustenance
amid the humic decay.
------------------------------------------------------------
I had an absolutely lovely time meeting the folks who run the magazine and act as the administrative arm of Rotary Down Under. I found it a wonderful way to learn a bit more about Rotary in Australia, as well. I was given a great deal of information regarding the programs run by Rotary and how they are faciliated and administered.

I am running out of time, as I need to get to Just Enough Faith soon! Instead of providing a report on the two tours I went on, I am providing links below for folks to research them. The two locations: Old Government House and Elizabeth Farm, are very interesting places, and they figure largely in NSW and Australian history...so do check them out!

Old Government House

Elizabeth Farm

No comments: