Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sydney has gotten slightly cooler the past few weeks. I know, I know...it was necessary to experience a little "winter" for a change. I suppose if I were to liken the Sydney winter to a Kentucky season, I would say--in terms of temperature--it feels a bit like early spring. Interestingly, I find winter in Sydney to be rather like the winter I experienced when I was studying in South Africa. The day can be cool/breezy, yet the sun can still be very intense and warm at times.

I went to Balmain to assist with a Rotary BBQ on Saturday, and since the sun was shining and it seemed warm out, I left out wearing a t-shirt and no coat. What I didn't realize was that while the sun was shining and quite warm, the breeze was fairly cool. If you were to be in Sydney City at around 3 p.m., you would have noticed me as the only person in the City who WASN'T "rugged up"! I, of course, wound up with a slight sunburn and a chill (the latter inevitably fostered the runny nose I woke up with on Sunday). Ah, yes, silly me. Either way, I have learned my lesson: never underestimate the weather of Australia. Looks can certainly be deceptive!

Needless to say, I have a lovely time BBQing. I have become very fond of BBQs (granted, I always enjoyed having one back home, but the Aussie BBQs are classic). In fact, I'm on the list for a number of Rotary clubs to be called out for BBQ duty! ha ha ha...
This is completely irrelevant, but I must add a dialogue below that comes to mind when I use the phrase "a number of...":
*(Pardon me as I become Sophia-esque) Picture it: Pikeville College, 2003. I'm an undergraduate at Pikeville College and I am working as Dr. (Lori) Kepford's assistant.
Lori: (Handing me a sheet of paper) Make a number of copies.
Me: Any particular number?
Okay, so maybe it's only funny to me---but I recall completely cracking up when that little conversation took place.

Right...
So, Saturday I went to a BBQ and on Sunday I did some studying and chopped fruit at Just Enough Faith. I'm getting way too pampered for my own good. My delicate hands are the hands of a student who hasn't done manual labor in a long time (I did work on a few archaeological sites---so I do know what manual labor is like!). I actually developed a blister from chopping fruit today. A BLISTER!
Still...I had a nice time. I got to be a guinea pig/taste-tester. I'm always up for food! :D
The chef made a really nice mushroom soup that makes me want to make mushroom soup, too! I'm so lazy---I truly can't be bothered to puree the mushrooms!
My flatmate says I am very American in my approach to cooking---if it takes longer than 5 minutes, I can't be bothered. She, however, will make dishes that take AGES to prepare. She's Australian, though...she's not a lazy American.
To be honest, I do enjoy cooking---sometimes (if I don't feel like I could be doing about 30 other things). What I REALLY enjoy is baking. I love to bake breads and I do enjoy making soups. I think it's time for potato soup or chicken and dumplings!

I am giving a presentation tomorrow to a non-Rotary club. I'm excited to be giving another presentation! I haven't presented in nearly a month! (Wish me luck!)

There really isn't much going on, nor is there much on the horizon (aside from the usual, which is enough to keep me busy!). Oh! I do have to say that I'm hoping to get Pikeville and Balmain RCs linked through a project that Judith is running. I suppose the idea to get the P'ville club involved with this Balmain project is going to the club board this Wednesday. I think it will be really neat to have my two favorite clubs linked though an international project.

That's all there is to report on for now!
I'll post another time when I have more to go on about.


No comments: