Saturday, May 05, 2007

I'm sitting in the Mitchell Wing of the State Library of New South Wales as I write this post---taking a break from my research. This is my favorite "indoor" place to study. I love the architecture and stained glass windows and the bookshelves that are built into the walls. It's so nice to be completely surrounded by so many books! My favorite "outside" place to study is the Royal Botanic Gardens. Interestingly, one of my friends rang me the other day while I was studying next to the Harbour Bridge (at The Rocks). I told him I was studying at The Rocks and he remarked that I choose these spectacular study locations. I do sometimes spend hours in the Fisher Library at Sydney Uni---but it really depends on my mood. For instance, I tried to study in one of the quieter floors of the Fisher Library, but if it's too quiet I find it more difficult to concentrate. I was also very distracted by the hideous chartreuse paint! Conversely, I can't stand to hear people carrying on a conversation while I'm studying. It's a very strange dichotomy, really.

Before I forget: everyone must visit my SouthEast Telephone-hosted website! It's fab! :)
The address is: www.sydneyscholar.org. It's still under construction, so visit again later on to get the full effect!

We had an absolutely lovely Ambassadorial Scholar gathering last night! Toby organized the evening, which was facilitated/hosted by his host counselor and the host counselor's wife (henceforth Geoff and Joan).
Situated behind Luna Park at Milson's Point, their home has a lovely view of the bay and the City (not to mention a rooftop pool!).

Laurent and I arrived together to find Jamie, Julie, Thomas, Toby & An (one of the Swedish GSE girls) congregating on the roof. We all chatted over excellent prawn canapes and champagne. Jules showed up shortly after Laurent and I to nearly complete the group (Philip and Miloney were the only ones missing).

Geoff and Joan are such a nice couple! They were very hospitable and inquired about various aspects of our respective home countries. In addition to their actual livelihoods, the couple also own a vineyard in the Snowy Mountains region of New South Wales. Needless to say, we got to sample quite a bit of the wine they produce! The wine was very nice and complimented the meal of Atlantic salmon quite nicely.

Pru, a Rotarian from the Darling Harbour RC, showed up with another of the GSE team members. We had a very interesting chat with the Swedes about their vocations (secondary education and voice instruction). It's so that Rotary provides such beneficial cultural programs as GSE and the Ambassadorial Scholarship. I'm still amazed by the generosity!

I have Postgraduate Seminar this Monday. Woo-hoo! I actually look forward to the seminars---it's so nice to get an idea of what everyone else is working on. It's also a good time to have a chat with everyone, as we don't see one another in class!

This week is going to be a moderately busy one. One of my top priorities is to chase-up some folks to determine what I need to do and what needs to be delegated for the Postgraduate BBQ. I have a council meeting on Wednesday (which sucks, because that's when the Sydney Rotaract meeting is!), so that will be my opportunity to beg for assistance/delegate some responsibilities. The trick is to first ascertain what the responsibilities are! ha ha ha...
I'm really of two minds with council. On the one hand, I really want to be involved because it's a way to be active in what's happening at Sydney Uni. On the other hand, I should also be more active with the Rotaract Club. I miss being involved with Rotaract. The problem is that both Rotaract and SUPRA (the council) meet on Wednesday nights! I can not humanly manage both, as they generally even meet at the same hour! I'm a bit distressed about this, actually. *sigh*

Right...
Well, it's time for me to get back to work! I picked up two Bourdieu books today. YAY! I am going to digest a bit of theory before heading to bed! I've provided myself with a treat for tomorrow: I will go home, shower and get everything sorted (i.e., read) and then I will get to bed slightly early in order to awaken by 6 in the morning to catch the early bus to the City. I will have my coffee on the harbour and then go to the Museum of Contemporary Art to go through more of the exhibits. I plan to then go to the Maritime Museum. Then, it's off to the State Reference Library to do some more research! :)
That may not seem like a treat to many, but to me that sounds like a completely exciting day!

I guess that's it for now!
More later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara
You amaze me! You adapt so well to wherever you might be. This is different isn't it? Not at all like the other places you have been is it? I wonder.....are you getting any tan from all that sun you must be soaking up since you always seem to be on the go...out and about. When you were in Bristol it seemed you never got out or it was always raining.I'm glad you are staying so busy!!