Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I've been observing the recent Paris Hilton fiasco (this time in relation to her possibility of jail time), and I find it necessary to put in my own two cents worth.

I'm personally rather disgusted by the fact that there would even be any question of whether she should do jail time. While I may not agree with all our laws, I do feel that one pertaining to drink driving is a decree which should be adhered to (especially when that is a violation of parole, which illustrates a prior inability to follow the law). The disheartening fact of the matter is that it would have been strictly adhered to--with virtually little to no court proceedings at taxpayers' expense--if the parole violation had been committed by a person with few financial assets. A woman or man of modest or substandard financial status would have been quickly thrown into jail and treated as the social scourge s-/he is considered by model middle class citizens.

Look, a crime's a crime no matter who commits it. If it is a serious crime that could destroy the lives of others, then by all means apply the necessary punishments. If it's not a serious crime, give folks a chance (unless they've proven through previous chances that they do not wish to rehabilitate). I think we need to seriously reconsider our values and priorities when folks who have become icons for flagrant flippancy and ostentation are the folks who experience a softened form of justice. Isn't justice supposed to be blind? Does the social contract only apply to the middle class?

Maybe it's my naivety, or maybe I just think the poorer folks need more of a chance...but situations such as this Paris Hilton craziness just cause me to seriously call to question the state of American justice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this and the really sad thing is that this girl is a role model for so many young girls. My interpretation of "Justice is Blind" however is that if you are rich and famous you can get away with anything; Lady Justice, i.e. the courts turns a blind eye to your crimes. I think if I were the law abiding people of California, I would worry that this has set a precedent that can be used by lawyers to get lighter sentences for their clients, no matter their crimes, simply because they have showed up in court.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on this one. It disgusts me that her sentence has been reduced because of her "good behavior" and compliance with the court. Interesting. I didn't know showing up 18 minutes late to court was compliance. In fact, in most cases, I think any other person would be found in contempt of court and sentenced to even more jail time.